Tuesday 9 January 2007

Hong Kong



...I'm gonna write in English so everybody will be able to read my wonderful lines : )
Hong Kong is really cool, we (Aaron and me) are staying in the district Kowloon and everywhere looks like on the typical Hong Kong pictures with all these lights and signs, completely packed with them! The city is amazing, never in my life have I seen that many skyscrapers spread over such a huge area. What makes it all so beautiful is that Hong Kong itself is an island or rather many islands and so when you cross the river to get from on side to the other you have those skysrapers all around you. It is especially spectacular at night time when everything is light up. They really have a thing about lights, the skyscrapers themselves are flashing and beaming and in the evening there is a light show from the top of the skyscrapers on both river fronts. Great! I will upload some pictures as soon as possible but it was rather difficult to find a cheap internet place that also has USB access, better say it was impossible. That is the bad side to Hong Kong, it i quite expensive. In some areas food is more expensive than in Germany and we had to totally rule out going to pubs : ( Well... for my birthday we went to a Chinese restaurant and the food is delicious. In Hong Kong most people do speak English, but it is already a hustle to make sure I get my beloved vegetarian food, I am frightened how it will be in China!! (Don't ever make the mistake to tell a Hong Kong person that he is Chinese...) On the islands around Hong Kong there is also a lot of countryside and it is quite hilly, so you can escape the city if it gets to much. Tomorrow we will leave to Macau, which used to be Portuguese and still has loads of Portugese influence (second language) and its own currency but is only about 30 squaremeters big. I'll tell you more when I've been there. On Friday we will take the train to Shanghai.
Well, it feels wonderful to be travelling again and I can't wait to get to see the "real" China!

No comments: